Monday, March 15, 2010

Movies: Sherlock Holmes

Truly, this is a dreadful movie, even to watch while on a 14-hour, trans-hemisphere flight. Why I chose, given the option of 78 movies on my personal screen, to watch this one is simple: the winning combination of Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law, which turned out to be surprisingly lacking in chemistry. One might blame the screenplay (preposterous, thin, and poorly scripted to boot), the direction (scene after scene so poorly lit one would be lucky to make out a face), or the attempt to mix action, mystery, period drama, literary reference, and star power all into one film, without properly giving room to any of them. Or, one can simply say, what a dreadful film; I'm glad I didn't pay $12 to see it (for I almost did), and move on with one's life, which is what I will do.

No comments: