Sunday, March 21, 2010

Postcards from New Zealand: Day Seven

Today I tried to drive. I am a good driver, but I am accustomed to driving on the right side of the street, and today, like all other New Zealand residents, I had to drive on the left side of the street. I have been carefully studying Aldo while he drives, noting that here, one must make tight left turns and wide right turns, but what I didn't realize until I sat in the driver's seat was how hard it is to tell how near the car is to the curb. I nearly sideswiped an entire row of parked cars, and after driving about ten minutes to our destination, I was too afraid to park, and so, I kept on driving. One way to practice doing something that scares you is to do it whilst avoiding doing something else that scares you even more.

No comments: