Friday, April 30, 2010

Postcards from New Zealand: Day Forty-Seven

You may have noticed that I'm not blogging many books in the past month or two; this is because I'm reading an immense tome, Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy. I was reading about Hegel's metaphysics on Graham's red couch this afternoon, as the sun set, and once it became too dark, rather than turning on lights, I closed the book and looked out the window, which offers a rather open view with some nice trees up close, and a highway in the distance. I rather like the highway there, though other people might think it an eyesore. The cars and trucks move across it at just the right speed for thinking, and tonight, the clouds were moving above it in the same direction, at a speed slower, but still palpable. I pondered like this for quite some time, until Graham came home and I announced to him, in the dark, that I was throwing all metaphysics out the window.

No comments: